Three things inspired this post.
1. My kids really hate sandwiches. They like toast or the occasional bun, but that's where there tolerance for bread stops. At first it annoyed me because I had to get more creative packing their school lunches, but I'm ok with it now. Mostly because;
2. They love tortillas! And we go through a lot of them in this house. I can put almost any sandwich topping on a tortilla, roll it up or fry it, and they love it.
3. We eat a lot of quesadillas. I love being creative with them. There are hundreds of combinations of toppings you can stick between those two tortillas, and these are our family's favourites. Most of them I served with a dollop of sour cream for dipping :) Excuse my lame names for them...none of this is really "official" LOL.
1. The Simple: This one is great as a snack or as a side with soup for lunch. It's simple...cheddar cheese or refried beans with cheddar cheese. Classic and yummy.
2. The Spicy Chicken: Cheese, cubed or shredded leftover chicken, Frank's red hot sauce, cheese, onion, pepper and tomato! Extra points for adding banana peppers! The kids don't love this one as much, but before I was pregnant and sick with this baby, it was one of my favs :)
3. The Greek: Black beans (our favourite!), red pepper, spinach, tomato, feta and a bit of cheddar to hold it together. A friend of mine invented this one while I was at her house for lunch one day and it quickly became my favourite lunch!
4. The Monkey: Peanut butter, sliced bananas and a few chocolate chips. Dessert, Breakfast, After school snack...this one is versatile and delicious!
6. The Cheesecake: A quesadilla for dessert? Why not? Cream cheese, sliced strawberries and cinnamon sugar...try and stop me!
7. The White Chicken: I can't think of a better name. For this one, you make a white sauce and mix it with cooked cubed or shredded chicken, canellini beans (white, creamy textured bean), spinach and a bit of mozza cheese. These ones are super filling!
8. The Bacon n' Egg: Pretty self explanatory...if you would rather a savoury quesadilla for breakfast as opposed to the Monkey one I listed above, this one is awesome. Bacon, scrambled eggs, cheese....peppers, avocado, or tomato if you like. It's like a breakfast burrito, but toasted and melty! Mmmm.
9. The Pizza: The ultimate kid approved lunch in our house! Pepperoni slices and cheese, served with pizza sauce for dipping. Perfecto!
10. The Luau: Bbq sauce, shredded chicken, pineapple, and cheese. Preferably served with a side of kid friendly pina coladas! Aloha quesadilla!
These are of course, just a few ideas. I'd love to hear what your family enjoys in their quesadillas...we love trying new ones!